Meet Maine here.
Meet Maine here.
Blaine House and State House Capitol Tours
Enjoy a scenic visit to the Governor’s mansion or Maine’s capitol building!
Guided State House and Blaine House tours are available. The Maine State Museum schedules tours for both. To schedule these tours, contact the museum at 207-287-2301 or complete the Reservation Form. Both buildings are not open on holidays.
Note: filling out the reservation form does not guarantee you a time slot. Book a tour at least three working days in advance to allow museum staff time to schedule and confirm your tour.
Maine State House-Capitol Building
Maine’s capitol building, the State House, is open during weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The building is free and open to the public. Click here to see the session schedule.
Guided State House Tours
- Guided tours are free of charge and are offered by appointment Monday through Friday at 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am, and noon.
- Guided tours are 60 minutes long. They include general information on State House history, architecture, and function.
- Guided tours must be scheduled three working days in advance. Walk-ins are welcome, but a guided tour is not guaranteed. Staff may not be available, or there may be other tours or programs in the building. Click here to schedule a tour.
Self-Guided State House Tours
- During open hours, visitors may choose to self-guide around the State House. This means walking through the building at your own pace without information or support from State House staff.
- You can find a pamphlet on State House History to help your self-guided experience. They are available at the information desk, located just past the security screening.
All State House Tours
- All tours are limited to 20 people each. If the tour group is a school or camp group, five additional chaperones may accompany each 20-person group.
- Capitol Police will be conducting entry screening of all visitors to the State House, including student groups.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the State House.
Blaine House-Governor’s Mansion
The Blaine House is the home of Maine’s Governors and their families, and is also a public building. Guided tours of the Blaine House are available for free, but must be scheduled in advance. There are no walk-in visits.
Note: Official functions may cause the cancellation of scheduled tours.
Guided Blaine House Tours
- Tours are available free of charge Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 10:00am, 10:30am, and 11:00am Click here to schedule a tour
- Guided tours are 25 minutes long. They explore the first floor rooms of the 1833 mansion and describes the historical background of teacher turned political leader, James G. Blaine. The tour also provides information about the official uses of the house.
- The Blaine House tour is appropriate for children age eight (Grade 3) and older. Note: Official functions may cause the cancellation of scheduled tours.
- Tour group sizes are limited to a maximum of 20 people. If the tour group is a school or camp group, a maximum of 5 group leaders/chaperones may accompany the group.
- All Blaine House tours for individuals and groups must be scheduled at least three working days in advance. You may use the Reservation Form or call 207-287-2301.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Blaine House.
- A completed Blaine House Security Form is required for ALL GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALS and MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO THE RESERVATION DATE.